I’m Back (Yet Again)
Hello, friends! If this seems familiar it’s because we just did this about a month ago. I apologized for being gone for so long, said I wanted to get back into blogging, posted one thing, then disappeared yet again. I posted that right before I went through a very very rough two weeks mental health wise. There wasn’t really a way for me to know that was going to happen, or maybe I would have planned my supposed return better. Admittedly, I probably shouldn’t have made my follow up post to my coming back announcement a post that made me very anxious. I talked about this in what is my flimsy excuse for a 2019 wrap up, but the idea of wrapping up what was one of the hardest years of my life was too much. However, I made myself do it anyways and it kind of turned me off of blogging yet again. My goal is to do better this time. If I find that a post is making me feel particularly anxious, I’m just going to ditch it. At least that’s the goal. Anywho, here is a list of some other things that will be a little different around here, at least for a while:
- I’m going to be talking about movies! I have always had a little section in my wrap up for movies and tv and the same will be true for this post, but I also have been watching way more movies lately. Part of this, as we will discuss below, is because I am in a massive reading slump/general mental health related funk, but oh well. Either way, since movies have become a bigger part of my life I want to talk about them more on here, so I am going to do that.
- For a little bit at least, until I can get to a more stable state of mind, I am not going to be trying to put stress on what I’m reading. I’m not going to be thinking about whether I’ve read enough books from this category or that, I am just going to read what I want to read and what will bring me solace from the mental hurricane I am dealing with a good bit of the time. If this means I keep rereading things I know aren’t the best, then I guess what’s what I am doing for now. I’m going to give myself a month or two and then I will try to break out of this, so if you are here for more content like that, feel free to leave for now and come back later.
- I’m not going to have a schedule. If I post a couple times a week that’s what I do, if I disappear for a week that’s what I do. Once again, I’m trying to keep pressure away from this.
Okay, I think that’s it? Anyways, let’s try to wrap up the few things I did in January.
January Wrap Up
For the record, I am well aware that it is almost the end of February and that I will have to write another wrap up like this time next week, but I do want to have wrap ups for each month of the year this year to look back on. Anyways, onto the wrap up.
Non-bookish things from January:
Work and Other IRL Things:
- Work in January was very interesting as my coworker went out on maternity leave and I was left to step up to her position (despite any pay increases or acknowledgement from my boss that I was expected to do half of the things not in my job description but whatever. I’m not bitter. I swear.) and work with a sub I barely know. I would be lying if I said this has been easy in anyway, but I am doing my best and trying to work with the kids to make things the best they can be for the rest of my coworkers maternity leave.
- I had a rough time in the mental health department. I know that I have mentioned this multiple times now in this admittedly short post, but since I plan to look back on these I want to make this clear to myself lol. I don’t want to go into details just yet, but maybe in the future.
- I was very sick. The sickness is actually what stopped my mental health issues oddly enough, at least according to my therapist. So even though I was miserable and had to have a second grader talk for me at work, it helped in that aspect? Yay? I guess?
Movies and TV Shows:
- Troop Zero (2019)
- I watched this movie with my parents thinking it was a cute and funny family movie. I don’t really remember much about it other than it almost made me cry and did make my mom cry. If anyone else is looking into watching this thinking its funny, know that grief is one of the central themes, and it gets especially heavy at the end.
- Suite Life of Zack & Cody: Season One
- I loved this show as a kid and rewatching it as an adult has been…interesting, but still very fun. 10/10 recommend watching it even though it definitely doesn’t make sense most of the time.
Now, onto the books from January.
I didn’t read that much in January and I definitely haven’t read that much this month, but here are the five things from this past month I read.
- Reread from 1/1 to 1/2
- Format: audiobook, owned
- I still really love America and Maxon. That is all.
- Reread from 1/2 to 1/3
- Format: audiobook, owned
- Not as good as the original trilogy, but still good.
- Read from 1/5 to 1/8
- Format: eARC from Netgalley
- This was a really cute middle grade about dragons and princesses among other things. However, that’s kind of all it was. I feel like it was trying to accomplish too much. There were lots of messages about privilege and power and being confident in who you are and where you come from, but they got to be too much. All of the characters other than the princess also lacked dimension. It seemed like there was supposed to be character growth but it just seemed situational and almost, easy?
All in all it was a cute, fun book and I can see people of the age group enjoying it greatly, but I had some issues with it.
- Reread from 1/1 to 1/8
- Format: ebook, from library
- I literally just reread this book but I already want to reread it again. They’re so good, wow. Also I still haven’t watched the movie??? I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I need to get on that.
- Read from 1/11 to 1/11
- Format: ebook, from library
- I read this comic while laying in bed trying not to cry and I would be lying if I said I remembered most of it, but I remember that it was gay and I enjoyed that.
Okay, well, that’s it. It is not much but I am honestly amazed I managed to read that much last month. How about you? Did you have a good January? Have you ever posted a wrap up way too late? Let’s chat in the comments!