Hello, friends!! Guess what time it is? October!! (Though I should note that when I was typing that my brain went on auto pilot and typed March so uh, happy March everyone) And guess what that means? It’s time for another Sapphic Saturday!!! If you missed our first round or all of our announcement stuff, you can find my introduction post here. However, I will also do a quick recap because why not and also clicking links is a lot sometimes.
What exactly is this readathon, Arin?
It’s a readathon or, many readathons dedicated to reading sapphic books or books with f/f romances! Sapphic Saturdays are going to be 24 hour readathons monthly or bi monthly on random Saturdays. They will take place from midnight to 11:59 in your timezone! Brittany and I are both EST so when we do twitter sprints, they will be somewhere in the twenty four hour period according to that time zone.
When is the next one?
October 19th, 2019!! It starts whenever the clock hits midnight for you and ends at 11:59 for you, but once again, we’re not here to police you in any way so if you go a little over or start a little early, it’s totally fine. This isn’t a strict readathon by any means.
Where can I talk about the readathon while it’s happening?
Twitter! The twitter account for the readathon is sapphicsaturday and Brittany and I should be active on there throughout the day!! You can also just use #sapphicsaturdays! I know that I will be doing a reading log and posting it after the fact, so if you want to do that too I’d love to read it!! We also have a snapchat group that we use to send each other updates during the readathon. If you want to join, DM the Sapphic Saturday account or Britanny or I and we’ll add you!
What should I read?
Any sapphic book you want! However, just like last time, I will give some recommendations. Given that it is October and things are *spooky* now, I will be giving recommendations for thriller or spooky or other reads that may fit the mood. I don’t actually have many recs for these topics which has made me realise I need to try and read more, so maybe also check out my TBR in a moment for inspo? I’m just like, not that into spooky stuff (sorry). Anyways, here are the recs:
- As I Descended by Robin Talley
- While I didn’t have the greatest time with this book, I am fairly certain this was just a me thing. This is a sapphic macbeth retelling and it is very spooky and also gay and I feel like it would be enjoyable for a readathon. Also, I listened to the audiobook and it was pretty good so if audiobooks are your thing, I would look into it!
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power
- This book was…a lot. However, it is also kind of spooky themed. Okay, not really, but it would be good for this time of year if that makes any sense. Please, please, please look up the trigger warnings first (they are on the author’s website) because there were a lot.
- Far From You by Tess Sharpe
- This book was so good!! I am planning a full review in which I will ramble on and on about all of my feelings, but it is just a really good book. It is technically a murder mystery thriller type thing, but honestly, I would just read it for the characters. They’re all my babies, ugh, this book is just so good.
- Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno
- I know that this book has summer in the title and takes place by the beach, but it is magical realism and I can verify it is a good readathon read.
What are you reading, Arin?
I am so glad you’ve asked, but I haven’t completely decided yet? It is a big problem, but I have decided on these three books as for sure:
- These Witches Don’t Burn by Isabel Sterling
- We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
- Crier’s War by Nina Varela
- I don’t actually know that much about any of these books and I would like to keep it that way because that is how I like to go into books, but that is a little inconvenient for posts like this. Oh well.
I am also fairly certain that I am going to read one of the two of these. If anyone reading this has read both, please let me know which one you would recommend over the other! I’d appreciate it!
Okay, so, I think I put everything I need to in here. What about you guys? Are you going to participate? If so, what are you going to read? Do you have any questions? Let’s chat in the comments!