Hello friends!! If you couldn’t tell from the title and the little graphic above, I’m here to announce and invite you to something! I’ve briefly mentioned and hinted at this here and there on my blog and we’ve started to be active on twitter, but Brittany and I are hosting a readathon! Well, technically we are hosting many, many readathons, but more on that later. I don’t really know how to do this whole announcement thing because I have never done it before, but now is my time to try and do my best! So, let’s just jump on into the details.
What exactly is this thing you’re talking about, Arin?
It’s a readathon! Or, many readathons dedicated to reading sapphic books or books with (preferably central but you do you, neither Brittany or I are here to police you) f/f romances! Sapphic Saturdays are going to be 24 hour readathons monthly or bi monthly on random Saturdays. They will take place from midnight to 11:59 in your timezone! Brittany and I are both EST so if we ever do twitter sprints, they will be somewhere in the twenty four hour period according to that time zone.
When is the first one?
September 7th, 2019!! It starts whenever the clock hits midnight for you and ends at 11:59 for you, but once again, we’re not here to police you in any way so if you go a little over or start a little early, it’s totally fine. This isn’t a strict readathon by any means.
Who is participating?
Well, so far, Brittany and I are pretty much the only guarantees lol. However, we would absolutely love if you, your best friends, and your dog would join in! Somewhat kidding about the dog, but also, feel free to just send me dog pictures. I will always accept them.
Where can I talk about the readathon while it’s happening?
Twitter! The twitter account for the readathon is sapphicsaturday and Brittany and I should be active on there throughout the day!! You can also just use #sapphicsaturdays! I know that I will be doing a reading log and posting it after the fact, so if you want to do that too I’d love to read it!!
What should I read?
Any sapphic book you want! However, I do have a few books I would like to shamelessly recommend you really quickly.
- Her Royal Highness by Rachel Hawkins
- There are roommates!! And gay princesses!! And a bunch of other fun things!! This is also a very quick and fun read, it is almost perfect for readathons like this!
- Colorblind by Siera Maley
- This book contains a super sweet and wholesome f/f romance and I am not over it. It can get heavy at moments and it deals with the topic of death like a lot, but it is also really good and has a happy ending so.
- How To Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake
- I actually read this book during a 24 hour readathon myself, so I can testify that it is a pretty good readathon book. However it is also pretty serious and heavy, so be prepared for that.
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
- This book was basically just an enjoyable and fluffy summer romance and I really enjoyed it. It is also good on audio!
- More gay princesses!! This is also a super good audiobook, in case you’re interested.
Now, I recommend to you three sapphic graphic novels that I really enjoyed!
- Princess Princess Ever After by Katie O’Neill
- On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden
- The Avant-Guards by Carly Usdin
What are you going to read?
I’m so glad someone asked (no one did, I know, just let me have this one). Let me put books on my TBR that have been on several TBRs at this point, except the goal is to now actually read them.
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power
- This is the only book that hasn’t been on a TBR before! I’m not going to lie, I am terrified to listen to this book on audio but I am going to attempt it for the readathon. It has the potential to give me horrible nightmares for like a month, but I am going to risk it so we’ll see. If it gets to where it is really messing with me, I’ll DNF but I hope that doesn’t happen.
- Of Ice and Shadows by Audrey Coulthurst
- The gay princesses are back and I must know what they’re up to. This is my second audio that I may not get to, but it is a backup just in case Wilder Girls doesn’t work out or it does and I just want a second one. Either way, this book will be there.
- Style by Chelsea M. Cameron
- Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi
- I think that both of these will be super cute and fun reads, I just need to finally read them. My hope is that this will be the last time they are on a TBR of mine, but we’ll see I guess.
Okay, I think that is it? Maybe? I would like to think I didn’t forget anything, but also, I probably did, so if you have any questions just leave them down below! What about you guys, are you planning on participating? What books do you want to read? Let’s chat in the comments!