Summary from Goodreads:
Harry Potter’s life is miserable. His parents are dead and he’s stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he’s a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. He is the boy who lived: the only person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.
Though Harry’s first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it’s his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.
Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment in the series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come.
This review is not spoiler free.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live,”
Hello, friends! As some of you may know from my goodreads updates or constant tweets, I started my Harry Potter reread this week! I was kind of stumped as to what I should do review wise for this book, since I don’t think I can write an unbiased review for any of these books. Then I had the idea to keep track of the thoughts I had while reading and then post that instead of a proper review. I actually had a whole lot of fun doing this, so you can bet I’ll be doing it for the rest of the books too. That being said, there are spoilers for the first book ahead. I didn’t hold back at all lol.
- Harvey Potter, Vernon Dursley remains so creative.
- I have an annotation that underlined Sirius Black’s name with a 🙂 written underneath it, which is honestly what half of my thoughts are so.
- “Don’t ask questions – that was the first rule for a quiet life with the Dursleys.” has a 😦 next to it.
- “‘No thanks,’ said Harry. ‘The poor toilet’s never had anything as horrible as your head down it – it might be sick.'” Harry James Potter, a ten year old icon.
- Okay, I get the Dursleys are not like, the smartest, but wouldn’t you think that after hundreds of letters start appearing, letting the kid open one would be easier? Like, they could have even made up an excuse about a prank or something, but no, fleeing their home seemed easier.
- “I know some things, I can, you know, do math and stuff.” I’m glad one of us can do math, Harry.
- “Harry – yer a wizard.” I was very startled to notice that the movie changed this line around. I still am startled honestly.
- All of the Dursley’s talk about Lily and James made me angry.
- I somehow forgot about the pig tail part, Hagrid is iconic and I love him.
- Someone please stop me from equating the Malfoys to the Dearborns from The Dark Artifices in my mind.
- Why doesn’t Hogwarts have like a fun pamphlet for muggle born children? That way they can actually know what people are talking about and not have to be confused all the time?
- How did I forget that Hedwig was a gift from Hagrid? 😭
- “You have your mother’s eyes.” 🙂 😦
- I wonder what 4th year or so Harry would say about his 11 year old self originally finding his textbooks interesting.
- Once again, shouldn’t Hogwarts have someone at the train station to show muggle born students how to get to platform 9 and 3/4? Or does no one care about them?
- “We’ll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.” I’m going to need to try and figure out of the twins ever did decide to do that.
- Wow Ron is really pulling on my heart strings the second he shows up, huh?
- Dumbledore enjoys tenpin bowling, there is a fun fact for you.
- “Neville the toadless boy” an icon.
- I am amazing with myself that I still had the first four lines of the Hogwarts song memorized, thank you deleted scene from the Goblet of Fire movie.
- Harry having a nightmare on his first night at Hogwarts makes me 😦
- Snape being mean to Harry 😦 Snape being mean to Neville 😦 😦
- Harry thinking that Wood is a cane McGonagall is going to use to hit him 😦
- “Your father would have been proud.” 🙂
- I forgot that Neville was with them when they discovered the trap door, he really is an icon. I wish he would have gotten to go on more adventures with the golden trio.
- I will never be over the Weasley twins being described as human bludgers.
- “Harry then did something that was both very brave and very stupid.” His life in a nutshell.
- We stan friendships that start because you tackle mountain trolls together.
- Who do I have to pay to get Lee Jordan to be the announcer at the baseball stadium I work at?
- Harry seeing his family for the first time in a mirror makes me sad 😦
- Dumbledore can just turn himself invisible? Weird flex but okay, my dude.
- Ron telling Harry to really break his leg so he doesn’t have to play when Snape is referring seems a little extra but go off I guess.
- Harry telling Neville he deserves to be in Gryffindor 🙂
- Neville standing up for himself 🙂
- I would just like to note that I didn’t enjoy Ron’s quips enough the last time I read these books and that is a big shame.
- Hagrid trying to raise a dragon in a wooden hut, iconic.
- I wonder if my brother would agree to take an illegal dragon off of my hands if I asked him.
- I’m still confused as to how the Hogwarts staff thinks keeping 11 year olds out all night for detention is a good idea. Like, my dudes, are y’all alright?
- “Always the innocent are the first victims,” that’s depressing but also true.
- I love how this book points out that sometimes brilliant and talented people don’t have common sense.
- I also love how it points out that that books and cleverness aren’t the only important things.
- Why did I think the whole final action scene was way longer than it actually is?
- Good to know that rumors fly wildly at Hogwarts too.
- The twins sent Harry Ginny’s toilet seat, interesting.
- I may not be Dumbledore’s biggest fan, but I will admit that the man has some nice quotes.
- “My brain surprises even me sometimes,” why is that me at 3 am when instead of sleeping my brain starts to want to think about what ifs and put me on the verge of a panic attack.
- While I do love that the golden trio got honored and get all of those points and stuff, it does seem a bit unfair to the Slytherins. I’m sure those kids were excited and then they were probably just 😦
- Why is it that Percy only acknowledges his siblings when he can brag on their behalf?
- “Those who could add” wow, I’m excluded from that bunch.
- Neville, my hero 🙂 I am glad he won the cup for them 🙂
Welp, those are my most pressing thoughts from this reread. How about you guys, have you read this book? Did you have any similar thoughts?